The ‘to-do’ list in your organizer lengthens every passing day while your desktop is absolutely cluttered with all sorts of sticky notes. We know what it is to be confused when too many things are to be cleared.
To begin clearing pending stuff you have to first start from somewhere and deciding that when everything seems to be a priority gets a little tricky. We figured out few ways that can ease this pressure and help us streamline the work which is to be executed immediately.
Micro-managing things on a regular basis is no doubts difficult and to an extent, impossible but organizing and planning things with a long-term viewpoint can be of great help. Considering the 5 techniques mentioned below, may help you to be more organized.
- Prepare a list: The biggest lie that you tell yourself is, ‘No need to write. I will remember everything”. Well the first thing that you need to do is to put down in writing DAILY, what is to be cleared/done that day. Once listed, separate the things into urgent v/s can-be-handled-later to sort out priorities of the day.
- Evaluate the value: Finishing certain tasks well before time will render more benefits than the rest. For instance, organizing your personal data can be dealt latter but attending and addressing the customer is more crucial. So, clear your deliverable, if any, before anything else.
- Set attainable targets: Be realistic do not go overboard in order to list your tasks and targets. Be well informed that stretching beyond your mental and physical limitations would not only disappoint you but will also stress. Take up what is achievable. You can not attend 3 meetings a day in 3 different corners of the city and still come and report back to office. Push yourself till the limit where the quality of your work does not suffers because you were too busy concentrating on the quantity.
- Adjust accordingly: You will only be able to effectively prioritize when you are flexible to the changing environment. Many a times you are required to shuffle your list and move-up something which was to be done much later. Like the time your client preponed a meeting or your boss scheduled an urgent task for you, do not get baffled. Decide what is more urgent and be ready to shift or swap what you had planned.
- Know when to draw the line: You may be a perfectionist and work on even the tiniest of details but know when to cut the chord. Many a times we spend too much of time working on a particular task since it seems really important, but be well aware that the rest are equally important. Manage your time well so that you don’t end up knocking off a thing or two off your list. No you should not strike them off, they were put onto the list as they were important. Prevent yourself from going down the rabbit hole.
It is both flattering and overwhelming when you have a lot many things enqueued. Nevertheless, if you know the trick to balance and what to prioritize, you can effectively handle any and every thing under the sun. Be disciplined. Be elastic and your compass shall always be pointing north.